
I hated it. I thought it was u-g-l-y. I didn't like the color of the wood, the gorgeous gold handles, or the missing knob. The minute he brought it in to our cute Cedar house I thought... hmmm... thats gotta go asap... lol... right.
After I expressed my feelings about this dresser to Kade, he told me that it was the first thing that his mom and dad bought together after they got married. He also told me that it has been his dresser since he was a kid. After hearing this I couldn't get rid of it! It had great memories and family history... so I had the brilliant idea to refinish it and make it pretty as soon as I could.
Here I am 2 years later finally doing this project... how lame, I know!
When you get a house, it motivates you to make everything inside of it as nice as you can. My mom helped me stain it and taught me how to refinish stuff.
I'm glad I decided to finally do this because over the years I have grown quite fond of this dresser myself. It is the perfect size for both of our stuff and it is really solid! I love it now.
Here is the final product...

This Is What We Did
First we took all the hardware off and gave it a bath
Second we stripped it down with stripper (which is awful by the way! It smells horrid and burns your skin off!)
Next we sanded it all over with medium
Then again with fine
After this, we could put the stain on. I used a color called ebony
After we let that sit for a day or so we put a coat of polyurethane on
After another day or so we lightly sanded, then added another coat of it.
Lastly we picked out the new hardware at Home Depot... and Viola!
We've got ourselves a beauty!
No comments:
Post a Comment